Whitehorse City Council

Animal Registrations

Whitehorse City Council has a number of responsible pet ownership initiatives in place that aim to promote animal welfare, protect wildlife and the environment, and reunite lost pets with their owners.

Pet Registration
> Registration of Puppies and Kittens
> Compulsory Desexing
> Updating Your Contact Details
> Lost Dogs and Cats
> First Time Registration Payment
> Registration Renewal Payment
> Change of Ownership
> Pro Rata Fees
> Reduced Fees

Pet Registration

Dogs and cats must be microchipped and registered with Council by three months of age. Registrations are renewable every year on 10 April. You will be issued with a tag to place on your pet once it is registered to assist in its safe return should it go missing. Please note that Council now provides lifetime tags. The tag you received previously will not be replaced unless you lose your pet’s original tag or if it needs replacing due to wear and tear.

The state government recently amended the entitlement to reduced fees for animal registration. As of the 11 April 2013, new first time animal registrations after this date will not be entitled to the reduced fee solely for microchipping the animal. For more information, please download the following Department of Primary Industries factsheets:

For more information, please contact Council on 9262 6333.

Back to Top

Registration of Puppies and Kittens

Council offers free first time pet registration to microchipped and desexed puppies and kittens aged under three months. The registration form can be downloaded below or you can pick up a hard copy at the RSPCA and Council’s service centres at Nunawading, Box Hill and Forest Hill.

Back to Top

Compulsory Desexing

As of 10 April 2011, dogs and cats being registered for the first time must also be de-sexed. Animals currently registered with Whitehorse City Council or any other council are exempt from the compulsory de-sexing requirement.

De-sexing your pet is a responsible choice for pet owners because it helps reduce the numbers of unwanted puppies and kittens and reduces the incidence of roaming, disease and aggression in dogs and cats.

Exemptions to de-sexing include:

  • A dog or cat that is owned by a person who is a current member of an applicable organisation and the animal is registered with that organisation; and
  • A dog or cat that has been examined by a vet who then provides written advice detailing how the de-sexing would be prejudicial to the animal’s health.

Further details on other exemptions can be found on Council’s website.

For more information, please refer to pdf icon Order No 3 Section 26_2.pdf (13.34kB). 

Back to Top

Updating Your Contact Details

You should advise Council and the microchip registration company whenever you change phone numbers or address. Up-to-date information is vital when trying to reunite pets with their owners. If you have forgotten or lost the information regarding which company your pet is listed with you can check on the Pet Address website.

Back to Top


Animal Registration Change of Ownership

Complete the change of ownership registration form to provide details of new owners and change animal registration details.

Back to Top

Lost Dogs and Cats

If your dog or cat goes missing, it is important to contact Council’s Community Laws Department on 9262 6333 or the RSPCA on 9224 2222 with a description of your pet, where and when it went missing and your contact details as soon as possible.

If your pet has identification, it will enable Council to reunite you in the shortest possible time.

If you are unable to be contacted, your pet may be impounded and you will be charged a release fee when you collect your pet. The fee covers the costs incurred while caring for your pet. Council fines may also apply and will be sent to you separately.  

Back to Top

First Time Registration Payment

Payment for first time registrations must be paid for at one of Council's Customer Service Centres: Nunawading Civic Centre, Forest Hill Chase or the Box Hill Town Hall.

Complete and submit the pdf icon Animal Registration Form (63.80kB) to Council with your payment (if applicable).

Back to Top

Registration Renewal Payment

Registration renewals can be paid online or at any Australia Post outlet (as long as the original renewal form is present and has no changes) or by any of the following payment methods:

  • In person
  • Post/mail
  • Internet
  • Phone.

Back to Top


Pro Rata Fees

Fees are subject to change several times a year. Pro rata rates apply. To obtain current fees, please call 9262 6333 and ask to speak to Council's Community Laws Department 9262 6333.

Back to Top

Reduced Fees

If claiming the reduced rate for a desexed and microchipped animal, proof must be provided. Alternatively, a statutory declaration can be completed. 

For more information about registrations, fees or getting your pet microchipped, call 9262 6333 and ask to speak to Council's Community Laws Department.

Alternatively, download the pdf icon Responsible Pet Ownership (102.06kB) brochure.