Whitehorse City Council

Request for Compensation

If you are intending to make a claim against Council, you will need to complete the pdf icon Request for Compensation (163.12kB) form. 

The process:

  1. Email the completed “Request for Compensation” form to Customer Service; mail to Risk, Health & Safety, Whitehorse City Council, Locked Bag 2, Nunawading DC VIC 3131; In Person at our Customer Service Centres.
  2. If Council has not received a fully completed “Request for Compensation” your request will not be considered.
  3. Completed form will be directed to Council’s external claims manager - National Claims Solutions.
  4. All communication in relation to your request should be directed to National Claims Solutions (ph 8648 6511).
  5. National Claims Solutions, on behalf of Council, will investigate the circumstances surrounding all claims to establish whether or not Council is legally liable.
  6. Completion and acceptance of a Request for Compensation form does not represent an admission of liability on the part of Council or their insurers, or a waiver of its rights on the part of Council.

Please note it is very unlikely Council will be liable to pay compensation in the following circumstances:

  • If you have not completed the request for compensation form with the appropriate supporting evidence.
  • You are not able to establish the cause of your damage.
  • The damage was caused by or resulting from an adverse weather event eg. Tree limb falling.
  • When Council has complied with its Road Management Plan, which sets out the standards by which it maintains its roads and footpaths.
  • Incidents on roads and footpaths which are not on Council’s Road Register, e.g. arterial roads and private access roads.
  • Motor vehicle damage which is less than threshold amount set down by section 110 of the Road Management Act 2004 (CPI indexed).
  • Damage caused by tree roots when Council was not previously aware of the problem issue.
  • Damage caused by a contractor acting on behalf of Council, e.g. roadworks, parks maintenance. Such claims will be referred to the relevant contractor to respond directly.
  • Incidents relating to the condition of pit lids or other infrastructure belonging to utility companies, e.g. Telstra, Optus, NBN, water, power and gas companies. Refer to the relevant utility company website for information on how to make a claim.
  • Claims for asset and damage where the responsibility to maintain falls on the property owner, e.g. see stormwater drains on private property.