Whitehorse City Council

FAQs About Rates

Got a question about your rates? Chances are, it's answered below.

How are the rates determined?

Under the Fair Go rates system, the rate increase for 2018/19 was capped at 2.25 per cent.

To calculate the 2018/19 rates, Council added the 2017/18 budgeted rates with the annualised supplementary valuation income and divided that sum by the forecast number of properties. This determined the base average rate. The base average rate was then adjusted by the 2.25 per cent rate cap increase and then multiplied by the number of properties to determine Councils rates income for 2018/19.

By dividing the total rate income for the year by the total CIV for the city a 'rate in the dollar' is calculated.
By multiplying each properties individual CIV by the rate in the dollar, the individual rate amounts are calculated.

What is the rate increase?

The average rate increase this year is 2.25 per cent, which has been set for all councils in Victoria by the state government under the new Fair Go rate capping legislation.

The 2.25 per cent rate increase will raise total rate revenue to $114.68 million, which helps provide more than 100 services to the Whitehorse community, including home and community care for elderly and disabled residents, child and maternal health services and the maintenance of roads, footpaths, sportsgrounds, leisure centres and more.

What is the 'rate in the dollar'?
The rate in the dollar determined for the 2018/19 rating year is 0.147302 cents. The 'rate in the dollar' is the result of dividing the total rates for the City by the total CIV for the City.

What is Capital Improved Value (CIV)?
Capital Improved Value is the value of the property, inclusive of land, buildings and other improvements.

How does rate capping work?

View the link below for an explanation of how rate capping works. 


Source: Municipal Association of Victoria.

What factors are considered when valuing a property?

Factors considered include the property location, the size of your property, both land and buildings, property sales within the area at the time of re-valuation, the type of building (brick, weatherboard etc) and the age of the buildings.

What are Site Value and Net Annual Value?

Site Value is the value of the land only. Net Annual Value (NAV) is a minimum of 5% of the CIV. For commercial assessments the NAV is the adjusted annual rent.

How do I find out how much my property is valued at?
Your valuations are shown on the front of your rate notice.

How do I appeal against rates and charges?

The Local Government Act 1989 (section 184 [1] and [1B]) provides that if you are aggrieved by a rate or charge levied by Council (other than an appeal or objection against the valuation or against differential rating or against special rates and charges or special rates under section 221), you may, within 60 days after receipt of your Valuation and Rate Notice, lodge an appeal with the County Court and give to the Council notice that you intend to lodge such an appeal. The grounds of appeal are set out in section 184 [2].

If for the first time your rate notice levies a special rate or charge, the Local Government Act 1989 (section 185) further provides that a person may apply to the Victorian Civil Administration Tribunal (VCAT) for a review of a decision of Council to impose a special rate or charge on that person.  The application must be made within 30 days after the date of issue of your rate notice.  The grounds of appeal are set out in section 185(2)(b).  A person may also apply to VCAT under section 185AA for a declaration concerning the validity of a decision of Council to impose a special rate or charge.

How do I change ownership or address information?

Council must be notified in writing of changes of address, ownership or occupancy. The Local Government Act 1989 (Section 231) provides that when ownership of a property changes, a prescribed form must be lodged by a prescribed person within one month of settlement.

How do I register for email delivery (EzyBill) of my rate notice?

Visit http://whitehorse.ezybill.com.au, enter your assessment number and name from your latest rates notice, plus the email address you want your notice delivered to. You can choose to do the same if you receive a separate invoice for a bin.


What do I do if I'm encountering payment difficulties?
If you are experiencing financial difficulties in paying your rates, please call 9262 6292 to discuss alternative options.