Whitehorse City Council

When will my rubbish and recycling be collected?

Visit Whitehorse Maps for collection dates.

How do I organise a hard waste collection?

Council’s 'ring and book' Hard Waste Collection Service allows households to book two collections per financial year at a time that suits them. For more information, go to the Hard Waste Collection.

How can I organise a replacement/additional rubbish or recycling bin?

Council will replace or repair your bin if it has been damaged or stolen. Download the relevant form from the Waste and Recycling Forms section of the website, complete and post/fax it back to Council.

Where is the Recycling and Waste Centre (the tip) and when is it open?

The Recycling and Waste Centre is located on the corner of Burwood Highway and Morack Road, Vermont South. It is open seven days a week from 6.30am-4pm (Christmas Eve opening hours are 6.30am-12pm). The centre is closed on Christmas Day and Good Friday.  

For more information including fees, visit the Recycling and Waste Centre section of the website or call 9262 6236.

How do I pay my rates notice?

Council has several options to assist people in paying their rates, including:      

  • Internet – pay by card (MasterCard or Visa) through Council's online payment system
  • Mail – make cheque payable to Whitehorse City Council. Mail bottom portion of rate notice and payment to: Whitehorse City Council, PO Box 14818, Melbourne VIC 8001. Receipts will not be issued for payments by mail
  • BPAY – Biller code 18325. Please contact your financial institution and quote your 10 digit 'Customer Reference Number' shown on the back of your rate notice
  • Phone – payment by card (MasterCard or Visa) can be made by calling 1300 120 147 and quoting your assessment number as listed on the back of your rate notice
  • Direct debit – call Council on 9262 6333 for more information. Please note, credit card accounts are not accepted.
  • In person – present your rate notice with your payment to any of Council's Service Centres (Whitehorse Civic Centre in Nunawading, Forest Hill Chase Shopping Centre or Box Hill Town Hall). EFTPOS, card, cheque, cash or money order are accepted. Payment can also be made at any Australia Post outlet

How do I pay a parking fine?

You can pay a parking fine by clicking on Council's Online Payment section of the website. 

Alternatively, visit any of Council's three Service Centres located at the Nunawading Civic Centre, the Box Hill Town Hall and Forest Hill Chase.

Cheque or money order payments can be mailed to Whitehorse City Council, Locked Bag 2, Nunawading Delivery Centre, 3131. Please ensure that you include your parking infringement number and the registration number of your vehicle with your mailed payment.

Credit card phone payment is available by calling 9697 5730. This service is provided by SecurePay.

How do I appeal a parking fine?

Parking officers issue fines to vehicles that don't adhere to parking restrictions in the area. The fine (or infringement notice) will have all the details of the parking fine including why it was issued, the amount payable, and what you should if you wish to appeal it. 

If you believe the infringement is incorrect, or you wish to apply for a part payment scheme, you can write to Council stating:

  • Your reasons for requesting a review of the infringement
  • The infringement number
  • The vehicle registration number
  • Your postal address

Your letter should be addressed to:

Infringement Appeals Panel
Whitehorse City Council
Locked Bag 2
Nunawading Delivery Centre 3131

Road rules are subject to change by the Victorian Government.

How do I register my pet?

Dogs and cats must be microchipped and registered with Council by three months of age. Registrations are renewable every year on 10 April. When registering your animal you will be issued with a tag to place on your pet (in addition to the microchip) to assist in its safe return should it go missing. If you lose your animal’s tag, replacement tags are available from Council.

Council offers free first-time pet registration to microchipped puppies and kittens aged under three months. 
A registration form can be downloaded from the animal forms page on the website. Alternatively, forms are available at all pet shops and veterinary clinics in the municipality as well as the RSPCA and Council’s service centres at Nunawading, Box Hill and Forest Hill.

How can I find out about immunisation sessions for my child?

Council provides free vaccinations for infants, toddlers, preschool children and school aged children (as well as adults over the age of 65). To find out more about this service, visit the Immunisation section of the website.

How do I get more information about Meals on Wheels or other services for older people?

Click on the Older People section of the website or call Council’s Home and Community Care Department on 9262 6110 for information about Meals on Wheels, respite care, assisted transport and other services. 

How do I hire a Council venue for an event?

Council has an extensive range of halls, meeting rooms and function centres available for hire, most of which have full catering facilities for major events. Visit the Halls & Functions Centres section of the website for detailed information.

How do I seek Council permission for a sausage sizzle, fundraising event or a street party road closure?

If you are selling food at a temporary event such as a sausage sizzle or community festival, you will need to apply for a Temporary Food Act Registration. Call Council's Environmental Health Unit on 9262 6197 for more information.

If you are organising a fundraising event, you will need to submit an Application to Fundraise Within the City of Whitehorse form.

If you are planning a street party, download Council’s Street Party Kit to find out what’s involved.