Whitehorse City Council

Food Complaints

Food safety related complaints generally fall into one of the following categories:

  • Suspected food poisoning or food-borne infection
  • Foreign objects found in food
  • Poor handling practices
  • Poor quality food
  • Unclean food premises
  • Unregistered food business
  • Incorrect labelling. 

When making a complaint, please specify:

  • What you ate, bought or observed
  • The name  and address of the business
  • The date and time you ate, bought the food or observed a problem.
  • Any other relevant details.

  • If you are complaining about any suspect food, and have any left over, even if you only have the packaging, it will help our investigation if you can deliver it to the Nunawading Council offices. If you are not able to bring the food to the Council offices we may be able to collect the food from you if you live in the municipality. Perishable food should be stored in the fridge until it is delivered or collected.

    Council will then investigate your complaint. All complaints are treated as confidential and, if you leave your details, you will be kept informed of the progress and outcome of the complaint.

    If you have suspected food poisoning then we may ask you for more information, including a three-day food history (72 hours prior to your first symptom). The only way to determine if you have been suffering from food poisoning or a food borne infection is for a stool sample to be sent to a laboratory for analysis. You can do this through your family doctor or we can arrange to drop off and collect a faecal sample pot. Results are normally available two days after the lab receives the sample.

    Your report will help Council ensure that any food safety problem is identified and corrected to prevent it from happening again.

    To report a food complaint, contact the Environmental Health Unit on 9262 6197.