Hard Waste Collection
Council’s 'Ring and Book' Hard Waste Collection Service allows households to book two collections per financial year at a time that suits them.
The ‘Ring and Book’ Hard Waste Collection Service replaces the fixed schedule collection that occurred in January to March and June to August each year. There is no longer a separate monthly service as all hard waste bookings are now available on a ring and book basis.
Council’s previous monthly whitegoods, scrap metal and electronic waste service has been incorporated into the ‘Ring and Book’ hard waste arrangements. Residents can now place out whitegoods, scrap metal and any other eligible hard waste items all together for a booked collection at a time that suits their needs.
Bookings must be made directly to Council’s authorised collection contractor WM Waste Management on 9721 1915 or online at www.hardrubbishmelbourne.com.au/book-your-hard-rubbish-collection
Benefits of the service include:
- Flexibility for residents to book two collections per financial year at a time convenient to them
- Tidier streets because the collections will no longer occur all at once
- Reduced dumping and scavenging of materials.
Booking a Collection
- Book a collection by phoning Council’s hard waste contractor on 9721 1915 or online at www.hardrubbishmelbourne.com.au/book-your-hard-rubbish-collection by 3pm Thursdays to have your hard waste collected the following week.
- When booking, please tell the customer service officer what type of materials you wish to put out for collection, in particular whether you will include TVs, fridges/freezers, garden prunings, mattresses or scrap metal.
- Once the booking has been made, the contractor will send you a pack with instructions and an orange ‘BOOKED’ sticker.
- Read the instructions so that you only include items that are acceptable for collection (refer to the Accepted Items and Not Accepted Items lists below).
- Place your hard waste items in a neat pile on your nature strip the weekend before the collection week (no later than Sunday night). The pile should not be more than three cubic metres and should only include items that can be lifted by two people. If more than three cubic metres is placed out, it will be counted as two collections.
- Place the orange ‘BOOKED’ sticker on the hard waste pile so that it can be seen clearly from the road.
Most of the materials collected through the Ring and Book Hard Waste and Bundled Prunings Collection Service will be recycled.
Not Accepted Items
- Tyres and car batteries
- Motor oil and engine blocks
- General garden waste (other than branches and prunings), soil or earth
- Household waste or recyclables
- Building and renovation materials including rubble or fences
- Asbestos and other hazardous waste
- Gas cylinders
- Household chemicals and pesticides.
Disposing of Not Accepted Items
Other services are available for unwanted household goods that cannot be disposed of through the Ring and Book Hard Waste Collection Service.
Residents can take bricks, rubble, concrete, engine oil, batteries and tyres to the Whitehorse Recycling and Waste Centre, corner Burwood Highway and Morack Road, Vermont South. Fees apply for some items. Phone 9262 6333 or visit www.whitehorse.vic.gov.au/Recycling-Waste-Centre.html for more information.
Residents can take paint, motor all, batteries, barbeque gas cylinders and fluorescent tubes to the nearest Detox Your Home location at Monash Waste Transfer and Recycling Station, 380 Ferntree Gully Road, Notting Hill. Phone 1800 353 233 or visit www.resourcesmart.vic.gov.au for more information.
For information about disposing of chemicals, phone 1800 353 233 or visit www.resourcesmart.vic.gov.au
For information about disposing of cement sheeting and asbestos, phone the Environmental Protection Agency on 1300 372 842.
Households are entitled to two hard waste collections per financial year (as part of Council rates). You can book additional hard waste and bundled pruning collections during the year; however, additional collections (more than two per year) attract a collection fee. Phone WM Waste Management on 9721 1915 for information about fees for additional collections.
Please note, you can also choose to take items in working order to local charity shops or recycle them through Council’s Renew Collection held in May/June each year.
More Information and Booking
For more information or to book a collection, phone the contractor WM Waste Management Services on 9721 1915 or online at www.wmwaste.com.au