Whitehorse City Council

Home Support

Introduction of the Commonwealth Home Support Programme

Whitehorse City Council provides HACC services to more than 4000 elderly people and community members with a disability to support them to live independently at home and get out and about in the community. Services include meal delivery, social activities, in-home support and more.

From 1 July 2016, HACC services for Victorians aged 65 years or over (and 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) will be funded by the Commonwealth Government as part of the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). The Victorian Government will continue to fund services for people under 65, with some HACC services and clients transferring to the National Disability Insurance Scheme as it rolls out in Victoria.

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme will help frail, older people stay living in the community for as long as they can and wish to do so, with a focus on independence and autonomy. Similar to HACC, the aim of the CHSP is to provide small amounts of timely low level home support services to a large number of frail, older people.

The Commonwealth Government has established the My Age Care system to provide information and facilitate access to services. It also provides information about choices, services and funding options. Information is available on the My Aged Care website or Phone 1800 200 422.

From 1 July 2016 the name of the program for people over 65 will change to the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). The Home and Community Care (HACC) program will continue providing services to people under 65. Current recipients of the Whitehorse HACC services will not be affected by the changes.

How Will this Affect Your or Your Family Member?

Current HACC clients

If you are a current client of Whitehorse City Council’s HACC services, these changes will not affect you unless there is a significant change in your needs. In that case a referral will be made to the My Aged Care contact centre and you will be transferred to the new CHSP program.

Please note that if you are going to be absent from the service for more than eight weeks,  we will endeavour to provide continuity of care for the services you are receiving; however, we are unable to guarantee the same support worker on your return. From 1 July 2016, should you wish to resume services after eight weeks absence you will be required to call the My Aged Care contact centre.

New clients

From 1 July 2016, people seeking access to aged care services for the first time will need to contact the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422 to discuss their needs.

If you would like to know more about age care changes please contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

Home Support services can work with you

Council’s Home Support services are designed to support you, or the person you care for, to stay active and independent and living at home for as long as possible.

Helping people stay active, involved and doing as much for them is proven to help people stay more independent with a greater sense of wellbeing. This is the approach we take in working with you.

Who might benefit from the support?

We are funded to support people:

  • Who are growing older and are concerned about being able to stay at home (over 65 years of age)
  • With a disability, and/or
  • Who care for a family member or friend of the above.

How we work with you


We start by listening to you and exploring:

  • What you can do for yourself
  • What you need help with to stay safe and well at home
  • What you want to be able to do or keep doing 
  • What things you have tried.

Making a support plan

We then make a support plan with you. This lists what you want to achieve and the support and services available to help maintain and strengthen your ability to remain living at home and in your community. We will review your plan with you as needed.

Working with you

We aim to work in partnership with you and other people who support you such as family, friends, local community groups, your doctor and other health professionals.

For more information, visit the Contact Us page.