Whitehorse City Council

Home-based Businesses

A report compiled by Small Business Victoria indicated that home-based businesses represent 60% of small businesses within the state.

Since the relaxation of the home based business control in June 1995, you can use a larger floor area in the home and employ an additional person in the occupation. A larger number of businesses now comply with these regulations.

Benefits of operating a business from home include:

  • Financial – lower overheads are often the main influence of operation for home based business
  • Lifestyle – home-based businesses provide a flexible and viable lifestyle for people to do non work related activities or care for family
  • Environmental – significantly reduced energy cost of transport and energy consumption
  • Safety – increased daytime activity in residential areas, reducing potential for crime 

Home-based businesses are encouraged to register with Council’s Investment and Economic Development Unit so they can be actively promoted and included in Council activities.

To register your business on Council’s free online business directory, please call 9262 6353 or visit www.wbiz.com.au

For general business information contact Business Victoria 13 22 15.

Home Occupancy Requirements

Planning requirements and information:

Additional information to consider:

  • If you are planning to prepare, handle or store food at home you must apply for a Food Act Registration. For more information, call Council’s Environmental Health Unit on 9262 6197
  • If you are proposing to conduct beauty treatment including electrolysis, tattooing, body piercing, acupuncture or hairdressing at your home, you must apply to Council’s Environmental Health Unit on 9262 6197 
  • Contact the Planning and Building Department regarding signage and if a permit is required
  • If you are planning to alter or change the use of an existing building or carry out structural works you will require a Building Permit. Contact Councils Building Services Unit on 9262 6421

Please consider your neighbours when operate your business by: 

  • Maintaining your property to ensure you make a positive contribution to the streetscape
  • Ensuring that any noisy aspects of your operation are away from your neighbours. Try soundproofing to minimise the impact on neighbours
  • Maintaining the residential character of the neighbourhood by storing materials and goods indoors
  • Discussing any issues with your neighbours before they become unsolvable problems