Whitehorse City Council

Occupancy Permits

Once the building project is complete, and following written application from the agent or owner, your Building Surveyor will undertake the final inspection and issue either an occupancy permit or a certificate of final inspection, depending on the nature of the project. 

In order to get this certificate or permit, you may need to obtain certificates from tradesmen on the project, such as:

  • A plumbing certificate
  • A glazing certificate
  • An electrical certificate 
  • An insulation certificate
  • A termite certificate, if in a termite area
It is essential you obtain a copy of either the occupancy permit or the certificate of final inspection, as this signifies that you can legally occupy the building. You should retain this certificate in case you are ever asked for it.