Whitehorse Recycling & Waste Centre
Address: corner of Burwood Highway and Morack Road, Vermont South (Melway ref: 62 K9)
Phone: 9262 6236
Open: seven days from 6.30am-4pm (no large loads accepted after 3.45pm)
Closed: Christmas Day and Good Friday
For disposal of general or bulky non-hazardous waste, including building and demolition materials, Council operates a Recycling and Waste Centre located in Burwood Highway opposite Morack Road, Vermont South. The centre incorporates the latest technologies and follows best practice industry guidelines. This assists the centre in achieving improved user and operator safety, minimum waste contamination and efficient traffic management.
Items Accepted at the Whitehorse Recycling and Waste Centre – Free of Charge
The centre accepts the following recyclables free of charge:
- Batteries (domestic and car batteries)
- Engine oil (up to five litres)
- Cooking oil (up to 20 litres)
- Fluorescent tubes (non commercial)
- Glass bottles/jars (clear and coloured)
- Aluminium (cans, pots, pans, window frames)
- Steel (whitegoods, guttering, roofing, bikes and appliances)
- Other metals (copper, brass, stainless steel)
- Bicycles ( those that can be restored will be collected and donated to Bikes4Life and Gateway LLEN. These will then be repaired if necessary and passed on to local youths, communities in remote Australia and the underprivileged and impoverished communities overseas.)
- Electronic waste including desktop computers, laptops, cables, monitors, internal hard drives and CD drives, keyboards, mice, web cameras, USBs and modems, tablets, notebooks, palmtops, printers, faxes, scanners and multi-functional devices and all televisions.
Items Accepted at the Whitehorse Recycling and Waste Centre – Charges Apply
*Prices effective from 1 July 2013. All prices are inclusive of the state government landfill levy and GST. All vehicles are subject to weighing and prices are subject to change without notice. Methods of payment include cash, eftpos, credit card and account facilities. The centre does not accept cheques.
Residents are reminded that, as announced in the Council's 2013/14 Annual Budget, there will be an increase in fees at the Whitehorse Recycling and Waste Centre. The increase is due to the Victorian Government's decision to fast track the increase in waste levies.
(includes food waste, furniture, hard rubbish)
|Car boot load
|Station wagon/car load
|Ute, van, trailer, truck
||$190 per tonne with a minimum charge of $60 (up to 300kg of rubbish)
Clean Green Waste (timber and fencing, tree pruning and green waste)
|Ute, van, trailer, truck
||$100 per tonne with a minimum charge of $50 (up to 500kg of green waste)
Clean Concrete (includes clean bricks, tiles and asphalt)
||$80 per tonne with a minimum charge of $40 (up to 500kg of concrete)
Waste Engine Oil
|Waste engine oil (per litre)
||$0.35 (if more than five litres – first five litres free)
|Tyres (passenger vehicles)
||$8 per tyre
|Tyres (four wheel drive)
||$10 per tyre
||Price on application
|Tyre rim (passenger vehicle)
|Mattresses and bases
Items Not Accepted at the Whitehorse Recycling and Waste Centre
Please sort your waste and bundle it separately according to waste category to assist in efficient waste disposal and to save money. For example, separate any garden pruning or recyclable material from general waste. Disposal of garden pruning is cheaper than general waste, and many recyclable materials are accepted free of charge as above.
Remember to secure your load properly to prevent spillage of waste from your vehicle. For more information on how to secure your load, please refer to the Trailer Safety (85.26kB) document.
Warning: you may be injured by sharp, broken or heavy objects. Whitehorse City Council advises the wearing of suitable shoes and clothing such as gloves to protect yourself when handling waste.