Whitehorse City Council

Waste Collection

Households in Whitehorse are provided with either a 80-litre (new standard) or 120-litre green-lidded mobile bin for their weekly waste collection. Rubbish in this bin goes straight to landfill. Material that can be re-used, recycled or composted should not go in this bin. Rubbish must be contained in bags or wrapped.

A fine of $200 can apply to bags or containers of rubbish left beside your bin for collection; garbage overflowing with the lid open; hazardous items placed inside your bin; bins left on the kerb for more than 24 hours after collection.

Please note: For waste and recycling bin applications over the holiday season, please allow extra time if you need additional waste or recycling bins, or to change your Council bins. Normal bin processing and delivery timelines may be longer during this period.

When To Put Your Bin Out

To find out what day of the week your rubbish is collected, visit Whitehorse Maps.  

Waste You Can Put In Your Rubbish Bin

  • Bones/fats and meats, nappies (wrapped) and ceramics
  • Window glass (wrapped), mirrors, Pyrex materials and light globes
  • Polystyrene foam
  • Waxed cardboard and food-soiled cardboard 

Waste You Can't Put In Your Bin

  • Hot ashes
  • Syringes
  • Unwrapped vacuum dust
  • Gas bottles and fire extinguishers
  • Timber, bricks, soil, concrete and other building materials
  • Hard waste such as appliances, engine parts
  • Oil and paints
  • Chemicals and solvents
  • Any other liquids

How To Pack the Waste in Your Rubbish Bin 

  • All household waste should be bagged before putting it in the bin
  • Do not overfill the bin; the lid must close properly
  • Do not squash the contents of the bin because this can result in the waste being jammed and difficulty emptying the bin
  • All waste must be placed inside the bin. Extra bags or boxes of rubbish placed next to the bins will not be collected 

Where To Place Your Rubbish Bin On The Street 

  • When placing the bin on the kerb for collection, it is important to have the bin wheels facing away from the kerb
  • The bin must be clear of any obstructions such as parked cars, poles and tree
  • If you have more than one bin, please make sure the bins are more than 50cm apart
  • Place the bins side by side, not behind other bins
  • After the bins have been emptied, residents must bring them in from the street within 24 hours of collection, preferably the same night 

What To Do With Excess Household Waste

If you have excess household waste and need more than one 80-litre bin, you can request a 120 or 240-litre rubbish bin or use a combination of sizes (fees apply).

Alternatively, you can dispose of excess household waste by visiting the Whitehorse Waste and Recycling Centre, located on the corner of Burwood Highway and Morack Road, Vermont South. The centre is open seven days a week. Call 9262 6236 for more information. 

What To Do If Your Rubbish Bin Is Missed On Collection Day

If your bin has been missed on collection day, please contact Council's Customer Service Department on 9262 6333. Please note that drivers will not return to pick up bins that weren't left out for collection on time.

Bins will not be emptied if they have been filled inappropriately or have been placed in such a way that the truck's lifting arm is not able to access or lift the bin. Please refer to the information above to find out how to place your bin on the street correctly.

Christmas and Public Holidays

Council's waste services operate throughout the festive season and when your collection date falls on public holiday days.

Moving House

Bins are Council property and must not be taken with you if you move.

New and Stolen Bins

Council will replace or repair your bin if it has been damaged or stolen. If your bin is missing, complete and return the Missing Bin Application Form from the Waste and Recycling Forms section of the website.

A bin is considered damaged if it is missing its lid or wheels or if it has a split body. If your bin needs to be repaired, call Council on 9262 6333. If a bin is beyond repair (i.e. split body), Council will replace it with a new bin. Damaged bins must be placed on the nature strip to await repairs/replacement.

To prevent damage or theft of your bins, remove them from the kerbside on the same day as your waste collection.