Whitehorse City Council is redeveloping the popular Morack Public Golf Course and Driving Range into a contemporary community family-friendly facility that provides diverse leisure and social opportunities for golf enthusiasts, mini-golfers and the wider community.
|Subscribe to keep updated on Morack Golf redevelopment and services|
Council is contributing $12.11 million towards this project as a strategic investment in the health and wellbeing of the Whitehorse community.
The redevelopment includes:
- A multipurpose golf pavilion with inside/outside café overlooking the picturesque golf course and bushland surrounds.
- A 25-bay driving range with premium bays for group functions and hospitality services and;
- An 18-hole premium adventure mini-golf facility.
The redevelopment is an outcome of the Morack Public Golf Course Strategic Plan 2016, which identified that the ageing facilities at Morack and the limited social and hospitality offerings do not meet the current needs of existing and new patrons.
October 2023 - Construction update
- Main building works are complete.
- Tenancy fit out works preparing to commence.
- Landscaping works around the pavilion and carpark precinct to commence shortly.
- Mini Golf construction underway.
August 2023 - Construction update
- Driving range timber partitions, wall cladding and service rough in is nearing completion.
- The driving range gutters, flashings and downpipes connections are close to complete.
- Service fit-off and finishes inside the pavilion and events room underway.
- Civil works to the car parks and paving areas surrounding the building have commenced.
- External façade cladding is close to completion.
- Fire tank installation next to the main entry off East Road is underway.
June 2023 - Construction update
- The driving range roof has been installed. Gutters, flashings and downpipes connections will commence shortly.
- Service rough in to the pavilion complete, driving range service rough in will get underway soon.
- External façade cladding is ongoing using a mixture of colorbond, cement sheet and timber.
- Glazing installations have commenced throughout.
- Car Park extension works to the northern end of the site are underway.
- Fire tank preparations next to the main entry off East Road have started.
May 2023 - Construction update
- Stud walls have been installed throughout the building, giving a sense of space to the rooms within.
- The main pavilion roof has been installed with the driving range to follow in the coming weeks.
- Services to the pavilion are currently being roughed-in, including; electrical, security and hydraulics.
- Glazing has been measured for install.
March 2023 updates
On Monday 27 February 2023, Council made the decision to formalise the name of the golf facility in Vermont South as ‘Morack Public Golf’.
The site has been referred to by various names including Morack Public Golf Course, Morack Golf and Morack Public Golf Course and Driving Range. During community engagement on the redevelopment in late 2021, people were asked to give their feedback on the name. A total of 72% of survey respondents indicated a preference for a name from the various names already in use, as opposed to a brand new name. The use of the word ‘public’ in the name reflects that the facility is a Council-owned public golf site and accessible to all.
The facility does not require players to have a membership.
You can read more about this decision in the Council Meeting Agendas & Minutes.
Summer 2022/23 - Construction update
There has been plenty of action on site during the summer months. The pavilion is starting to take shape, an exciting milestone as golfers can now envisage the size and shape of the new facility.
- All concrete slabs for the main pavilion and storage areas for golf carts have been poured.
- The concrete slab for the driving range is close to completion.
- The structural steel has been installed to the main pavilion and driving range.
- Roofing works to the main pavilion to commence shortly.
October - November 2022 – Construction update
- Demolition of the existing buildings has been completed, this includes the old club rooms, pro shop and driving range.
- Temporary facilities are in place for Swing Factory to operate a small kiosk/shop and for resident clubs to have a space to gather on site during construction.
- The construction team is now installing in-ground services, including foundation work and preparation for the concrete slab.
- The structural steel that will make up the frame of the new buildings is being fabricated offsite.
September 2022 – New operator announced
Swing Factory has been announced as the new operator at Morack Public Golf Course and Driving Range.
Swing Factory is contributing over $2.5 million to the fit-out of the new multipurpose pavilion and state-of-the-art driving range.
In managing the driving range Swing Factory will introduce advanced ball tracking technology which tracks the speed and trajectory of the golf ball, giving golfers real time graphics on-screen.
Driving range users can also use the technology to play games and virtual golf.
August 2022 – Construction update
- Early works at Morack Public Golf Course and Driving Range have been completed with trenches dug for power, communications and sewer connections.
- Works have commenced to clear space for the new mini golf area.
- A cut-through from the first to the tenth tee has been created to allow improved access for golfers during works.
- Early September will see the demolition of all existing buildings, to make way for the new multipurpose pavilion.
June 2022 – Construction begins
Council endorsed the final designs for the Morack Public Golf Course redevelopment in April 2022. Following a tender process, a builder was appointed. Construction starts in late June. The Driving Range will be closed from 30 June and temporary buildings will be installed to operate a limited food and beverage outlet and basic club amenity.
February 2022 – Community engagement
Between 27 September and 25 October 2021, Council conducted a consultation and engagement process to gather feedback from key stakeholders and the wider community about the proposed Morack Public Golf Course redevelopment.
View the Community Engagement Summary Report
Council has responded to community feedback that drainage in parts of the course should be improved with an updated schedule of routine maintenance. Car parking at the redeveloped facility has also been addressed, including the addition of a further 6 places.
Key stages of the project
Concept Design and Engagement Process
- Council endorsement of Final Design
- Tender process and appointment of builder
- Construction Works
- Facility Opening
Construction is expected to be completed in late 2023.
Council’s design aims to transform Morack into a facility that is:
- More inclusive and inviting for families
- Attractive to corporate hospitality
- Has modern technology in line with golfing industry trends and
- Meets the needs of serious golfers and mini-golfers alike.
View the concept designs
For more information, read the FAQs
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org