The State Government has made a commitment to construct the North East Link (NEL). The project will connect the M80 Ring Road in Greensborough to the Eastern Freeway at Bulleen Road and includes the widening of the Eastern Freeway between Bulleen Road and Springvale Road.
Whitehorse City Council has resolved to oppose the State Government’s decision to select this alignment for the project due to environmental, social and transport issues.
Council continues to strongly advocate to the State Government for improved outcomes for the Whitehorse community as a result of this project.
The advocacy follows community engagement activities conducted by Council to understand the views about the project of residents and visitors to Whitehorse.
Some of the advocacy activities Councillors and Council officers have undertaken include:
- Regular meetings with representatives of the State Government
- Participation in technical and community groups hosted by the State Government
- Writing to and meeting with relevant Ministers and Members of Parliament
- Publishing information on websites, social media, metropolitan newspapers and local newspapers
- Making a written submission regarding the State Government’s Environmental Effects Statement (EES)
- Appointing legal and technical experts to represent Council at the independent inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) hearing
- Working with other impacted municipalities, particularly Boroondara, Manningham and Banyule, to strengthen advocacy activities.