A waste management plan is required by Council for developments that include 3 or more dwellings (units, townhouses, houses or apartments) propose a basement or any commercial development.
The waste management plan accompanying the Planning Permit Application must communicate how the waste system will adequately manage the waste requirements for the development.
Waste and recycling collection is considered by Council’s Waste Engineer at the time of a Planning Permit Application. Factors that are taken into consideration are:
- Waste steam generations.
- Bin sizes.
- Internal waste bin storage area size and location.
- External waste bin storage area size and location – if applicable.
- Internal & external vehicular access.
- Available nature strip space and the number of bins for collection.
Waste and recycling collections can be managed by:
- Council kerbside collection.
- Private contractor collection services.
- Individual or shared residents bins for kerbside collections.
- Individual or shared residents bins for internal collections.
Please refer to Council’s Waste Management Template ( PDF 220.64KB) which outlines the general requirements for Council waste and recycling collection services for low scale developments and can be used by developers for up to 5 residential dwellings.
Residential developments above 5 dwellings and commercial developments require a comprehensive waste management plan to be submitted to Council at the time of a Planning Permit Application.
Please contact Waste Team on 9262 7664 if you have any queries or require further information.
For further information refer to the following clauses in the Whitehorse Planning Scheme:
- Clauses 22.10 - Environmentally Sustainable Development
- Clause 55.06-4 - Detailed Design
- Clause 55.07-11 - Apartment Developments
- Clause 58.06-3 - Detailed Design
Developments more than 5 dwellings
While smaller developments can use the Council template above, large development sites of 5 or more dwellings are required to have a Waste Management Plan prepared by a Waste Engineer. It is advised to contact the Council Waste Team for further information on 9262 7664.