Purchasing an Existing Business

If you are looking at purchasing an existing food business we strongly recommend you apply for a pre-sale inspection prior to the purchase.

An inspection before settlement ensures that prospective proprietors are fully informed of any outstanding items or notices to ensure compliance with relevant legislation. Due to privacy laws, the current proprietor must sign to give consent to release the report to you or your solicitor.

Pre-sale inspections can take up to 10 days or a priority service of 5 days is available. Please complete and return the Pre-sale Inspection Request form if you would like this service.

Food Registration Requirements

As of 1 July 2021 food premises are unable to transfer a registration.

If you are purchasing an existing business, you will need to apply for a new registration.

To apply, please return a completed Food - New Premises Enquiry ( PDF 342.79KB)

A final inspection must be undertaken by Environmental Health Officer before you start trading. 

Once approved you will be provided with an Application to Register which must be submitted and paid for prior to receiving your Certificate of Registration so you can start trading.

Public Health & Wellbeing Requirements

All Public Health and Wellbeing Premises are required to transfer the registration.  

To transfer the registration, the following items must be submitted to Council before settlement;

  • a completed application to transfer, signed by both the outgoing and incoming proprietors.
  • payment of the applicable fee.

Please email or contact Environmental Health on 9262 6197 or health@whitehorse.vic.gov.au  if your premises is to be transferred.

Under the relevant legislation Council must undertake an inspection of the premises after you have taken over. A Certificate of Registration will be emailed after your inspection.

Refund Policy

  • A refund of 25% can be provided to food business on request who sold or closed (including end of lease closure) their business in the period from 1 January to 30 June
  • A full refund can be provided to any business on request who has not traded at all within the registration period
  • Evidence will need to be provided to support this request

 Please contact the Environmental Health Unit via email Environmental Health or on 9262 6197 for further information.