If you are looking at purchasing an existing food business we strongly recommend you apply for a pre-sale inspection prior to the purchase.
An inspection before settlement ensures that prospective proprietors are fully informed of any outstanding items or notices to ensure compliance with relevant legislation. Due to privacy laws, the current proprietor must sign to give consent to release the report to you or your solicitor.
All Public Health and Wellbeing Premises are required to transfer the registration.
To transfer the registration, the following items must be submitted to Council before settlement;
- a completed application to transfer, signed by both the outgoing and incoming proprietors.
- payment of the applicable fee.
As of 1 July 2021 all food premises will no longer be able to transfer a registration.
If you are purchasing an existing business, you will need to apply for a new registration.
To apply, please return a completed Food - New Premises Enquiry/Change of Existing Registration Form ( PDF 308.93KB).
Once You've Bought the Business
- Under the relevant legislation Council must undertake an inspection of the premises after you have taken over
- You will be provided with a certificate of registration in your name
- A refund of 25% can be provided to food business on request who are selling their business in the period from 1 January to 30 June
- A full refund can be provided to any business on request who has not traded at all within the registration period
- Evidence will need to be provided to support this request
Please contact the Environmental Health Unit via email Environmental Health or on 9262 6197 for further information.