All domestic animal businesses must apply to be registered with Council ( DOCX 118.73KB) and comply with the appropriate mandatory Code of Practice.
Depending on the Planning Zone of the property location you are considering, you may also require a Council Planning Permit.
Domestic animal businesses include:
- Breeding businesses (cats and/or dogs)
- Training facilities for dogs
- Pet shops
- Animal (welfare) shelters
- Dog or cat rearing premises
- Animal pounds either run by Council or a Council contractor
- Establishment boarding dogs or cats – overnight, doggy daycare and in-home care.
These businesses must comply with the requirements of the relevant Victroian Government Code of Practice. It sets out guidelines on how these businesses must operate and the Codes of Practice for Animal Welfare.
The permit specifies certain conditions which include:
- Types of animals permitted
- Number of animals permitted
- Physical arrangements/cages required
- Other conditions considered reasonable in the circumstances.
Failure to maintain full compliance with the conditions of the permit could lead to withdrawal or cancellation of the existing Domestic Animal Business Permit or to non-issuance of a future permit.
Council's Community Laws Officers annually inspect all Domestic Animal Businesses to ensure compliance with the Code of Practice
Domestic Animal Business Registration
All domestic animal businesses in the City of Whitehorse are required to apply to be registered with Council. You can submit your application online and pay the required fee.
Council will make an inspection of the facilities prior to approving your registration.
Annual Registration fee is $275.00
Existing registrations will be sent a renewal form early March and must be renewed by 10 April each year.