The Whitehorse community has access to an extensive public transport system with trains, trams and buses providing services across the city.
Visit the Public Transport Victoria website (PTV) for all your public transport needs, such as:
- The Journey Planner
- Myki ticketing system
- Maps, timetables and route information
- The PTV smartphone app
- PTV Public Transport route map for the City of Whitehorse
The City of Whitehorse has railway stations located at Mont Albert, Box Hill, Laburnum, Blackburn, Nunawading,and Mitcham. The Metro-operated Lilydale and Belgrave line services travel through these stations with partial express services operating between Melbourne city and Box Hill.
All level crossings in the City of Whitehorse have been or are in the process of being grade separated from the roads. Works have begun on the Mont Albert Road level crossing which will be removed (along with the Union Road level crossing) with the Surrey Hills and Mont Albert railway stations being combined to form the Union Station at a location between the two crossings. The project is scheduled to be completed in 2023.
The 90km Suburban Rail Loop Project will create two new stations in Whitehorse at Box Hill and Burwood. Construction began in 2022 and will be completed between Cheltenham and Box Hill by 2035.
Three Yarra Trams-operated tram routes operate in the city of Whitehorse:
- Route 109 between Box Hill and Port Melbourne which services Mont Albert and Box Hill.
- Route 70 between Wattle Park and Waterfront City Docklands which services Box Hill South.
- Route 75 between Vermont South and Central Pier Docklands which services Burwood, Burwood East and Wattle Park.
Apart from many local services, the City of Whitehorse has a number SmartBus Routes:
- 703 between Blackburn and Middle Brighton servicing Blackburn and Blackburn South.
- 901 between Melbourne Airport and Frankston servicing Blackburn North, Blackburn and Mitcham.
- 902 between Airport West and Chelsea Railway Station servicing Blackburn North, Blackburn, Nunawading and Forest Hill.
- 903 between Altona and Mordialloc servicing Box Hill North, Box Hill and Box Hill South.
- 906 between Melbourne City and Warrandyte servicing Box Hill North, Blackburn, Blackburn North and Nunawading
- 907 between Mitcham and Melbourne City via the Eastern Freeway
Going out this weekend? Melbourne now has all night public transport on Friday and Saturday nights.
For Whitehorse, this includes the Belgrave/Lilydale train line, Tram 75 (Vermont South) and Tram 109 (Box Hill) and NightBus 966.
Visit the PTV website for more information.
Feedback about Public Transport
Public transport is managed and operated by the State Government. Send your feedback about using public transport to Public Transport Victoria.
The Transport Factsheet provides additional information about public transport use, car ownership in Whitehorse, method of travel to work and road safety.