The Environment and Sustainability Reference Group (ESRG) consults with key stakeholders, seeks specialist opinions and enables community participation in environmental sustainability issues, initiatives, policies and strategies on behalf of Council.
The ESRG was founded in 2021, and today consists of two Councillors (Mayor Cr Massoud and Cr Cutts), community representatives and Council staff.
The objectives of the ESRG are to:
- Provide a forum for environment and sustainability issues to be reviewed and considered prior to the decision going to Council.
- Assist in the preparation or review of key environmental sustainability strategies and policies.
- Assist in the design and delivery of specific environment and sustainability programs by Council.
- Provide input on issues of environmental sustainability.
- Monitor the progress of Council action and management plans relating to environmental sustainability.
- Provide coordination, liaison and communication with other Council appointed community groups and key external stakeholders.
Community representatives are nominated and selected based on the following:
- Live or work in the municipality of Whitehorse.
- Have background knowledge in climate adaptation or mitigation strategies, waste minimisation or circular economy practices, or water conservation techniques.
- Have connections to established community groups.
For further information, please contact the ESRG via email