Skip Bins and Shipping Containers

A Council permit is required to place a skip bin or similar waste container on Council land such as the nature strip, road, footpath, crossing or lane-way. Shipping containers are not allowed to be placed on any road or Council land due to their size and safety concerns.

The skip bins or waste containers placed on Council land must conform to the VicRoads Code of Practice for the Placement of Waste Bins on Road Sides ( PDF 441.88KB).

All permit conditions set by Council must be adhered too.

Skip bins or waste containers placed on private property do not require a permit. However, they must be maintained in good order.

Works Zone Permit Holders and Skip Bins

If you are the holder of a valid Works Zone Permit ( PDF 1.12MB), you may place the skip bin in the designated works zone at no additional charge. You are also NOT required to apply for a separate skip bin permit.

Who Can Apply for a Skip Bin Permit

Permits can only be issued to skip bin contractors – not residents. The Council skip bin permit cost will be included in the bin hire charge from the skip bin contractor.

Skip Bin contractors can apply for a Council Skip Bin Permit online.

Applicants are required to provide a valid Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency for at least $10 million (obtained from your insurance provider) and will be required to pay the relevant permit application fees when they submit the application. The Permit assessment process may include an inspection of the site.

Once the Skip Bin Permit Application is approved, the Permit will be emailed to the contractor.

The placement of skip bins on City of Whitehorse streets is only legal if permitted by Council and they should only be placed on the road if it is not possible to place them on private land.

Please note: Skip bins MUST NOT be placed on a road or Council land before the Council Skip Bin Permit application has been approved otherwise, a fine may be issued.

Permits are granted in accordance with Council’s Community Local Laws.

Skip Bin Permit Fees

  1. Skip Bin fee:  $108.00 for 5 days
  2. Additional fee to place Skip Bin in metered bays: $40 per bay per day