All buskers, performers, spruikers and pavement artists working in a Council space need to have a busking permit. 

Busking permits ensure that there are no venue booking clashes and busking is only allowed at Britannia Mall, Mitcham and some areas in the Box Hill Mall, Box Hill.

If you wish to perform on private land you will need to seek permission from the owner of that land and a Council permit is not needed.

Permit Conditions

  • The permit fee must be paid before the event
  • The applicant must supply valid copies of the required documentation
  • The permit is only valid at the nominated site location stated on the permit
  • The permit is not transferrable:
    • Permits are not to be leased, sold or given away
    • No form of advertising of a permit for rent, lease, sale profit or other beneficial or fraudulent consideration of causing such an advertisement to be published is permitted
  • At the conclusion of the permit period a new application form must be submitted
  • Permits can be issued for a period up to 12 months depending on availability. At the conclusion of the Busking Permit a new application form must be completed
  • Busking may only occur at Box Hill Mall or Britannia Mall
  • Any drawings, sketches or other artwork made on any footpath must be easily erasable, in a non-permanent medium such as chalk, charcoal or pastel or be detrimental to the environment
  • The permit holder is not to advertise or associate the busking activity with advertising in any performance
  • The permit holder is not to sell or offer or expose for sale any article or commodity
  • The permit holder may not raise funds on behalf of a third party
  • Electronically amplified equipment is not permitted to be used
  • Permission does not include the Whitehorse Plaza, Box Hill Central Shopping Centre, the footpaths outside the Malls or during the Art and Craft Markets
  • The permit holder will comply with all directions by an authorised officers or a member of the police force, including a direction that busking cease or that the location of the busking be moved to lessen congestion or inconvenience to other persons
  • The permit may be suspended by a member of Victoria Police or by an authorised Council Officer for any reason at any time. No permit fee will be refunded
  • Any other condition which the Council considers to be appropriate.

Applying for a Permit

To busk in a Council space, applicants must complete a Busking Permit Application Form ( DOCX 54.18KB) and submit it, with the specified payment amount, accompanying documentation and media to Council for consideration. Busking permit applications must be made at least 10 working days prior to the date you want to start.

If your application is unsuccessful, your application fee will be refunded in full.

Assessing Your Application

In deciding whether to grant a permit the Council must take into consideration:

  • The nature, time, location and duration of the proposed performance
  • Details supplied by the permit applicant
  • The suitability of the supporting documentation for this application
  • The applicant’s Public Liability Insurance
  • The applicant’s record in applying for similar permits and adherence to permit conditions
  • Whether the performance is deemed offensive or unsuitable
  • The effect on the quiet enjoyment of other users of the municipal place or road and the amenity of the area
  • Whether AS 1428.2 or other disability standards can be complied with including a minimum footpath width for pedestrian traffic of 1.8 metres is to be maintained in accordance with Disability Discrimination Act principles and relevant codes and standards
  • Whether any undue obstruction will be caused to pedestrians or vehicle traffic in the area specified
  • Whether any interference will be caused in relation to other approved activities in the area
  • Whether the proposed site is either Box Hill Mall or Britannia Mall.