Food Vans and Food Stalls

All food businesses and community groups that sell food from a temporary or mobile food premises such as a market stall, festival stall, food truck or coffee cart must be registered with their local Council.  If you are having trouble determining your local Council you can search your address to find out the details.

Registration and notification is applied for and managed online through the Victorian statewide system called Foodtrader

Once your application is submitted, an Environmental Health Officer will review your application to determine whether your classification is correct and if there are any fees applicable. 

It is important to note that an application to register can take up to 21 days to process, however in most instances it will be much quicker.

If your application involves preparation and handling or storing of foods at your home, you will need to go through home based registration requirements.

Once your application has been approved and have received a Certificate of Registration you will then be able to submit a Statement of Trade (SOT) which is notification to the relevant municipality you will be trading in. You are required to submit a Statement of Trade at least 1 day prior to the event.

Council officers may inspect your temporary or mobile food premises, please ensure that you follow safe food handling and storage practices. For more information, please refer to the Selling Food from a Temporary Food Premises ( PDF 1.7MB)

You need to make sure you are aware of the requirements and are properly set up before you start preparing and selling food. If you have any questions call the Environmental Health Unit on 9262 6197.