You cannot stop or leave a vehicle parked if the Road Safety Road Rules Victoria (2017) do not allow it.
The most common illegal parking situations in the City of Whitehorse are parking:
- For longer than the time allowed on the parking sign.
- In a permit zone where the correct permit is not displayed or no permit is visible.
- Double (double parking).
- In a school crossing zone (No stopping zone).
- Too close to an intersection or pedestrian crossing.
- Across a lane or private driveway.
- And leaving less than 3 metres of road clear for traffic.
- On the wrong side of the road (facing opposite the direction of travel).
- On a footpath, naturestrip or reservation.
- In a no stopping zone.
- On a clearway. NOTE: Your vehicle may be towed and impounded by the Department of Transport.
- In a bus or transit lane.
- Opposite continuous white lines.
To find out more about how to park legally, visit the VicRoads website.