Registering Your Pet

Owning and caring for a pet is an enjoyable experience, however it does come with the responsibility of making sure it does not cause a nuisance to other people or animals. Pet registration is a legal requirement under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 for every dog and cat over three months of age. Annual registration fees will apply.

If you have adopted a new pet or you have moved from another Council area, you will need to register your pet in Whitehorse for the first time once it reaches three months of age.

If you already have a pet registered in Whitehorse, you must renew your pet's registration before 10 April each year.

If your pet ownership circumstances have changed, you will need to update your pet's microchip records and use the Change Your Pet's Whitehorse Registration form to tell us so we can update your pet's records.

NOTE: You may receive a fine for allowing an unregistered pet to stay in your home.

      Renew your Pet's Whitehorse Registration

      Your pet is already registered in Whitehorse and you need to renew that registration.

      Change your Pet's Whitehorse Registration Details

      Your pet has passed away, or you no longer own your pet, or your address or contact details have changed. Don't forget to also update your pet's microchip records.

      Register your Pet in Whitehorse for the First Time

      You have adopted a new pet or you have moved to Whitehorse from another Council area. Don't forget to also check and update your pet's microchip records.

        On this page

        Renewing your Pet's Whitehorse Registration

        Existing City of Whitehorse pet registrations must be renewed every year by 10 April and you can pay online

        You will receive a renewal notice in March. Check the details and if the information is incorrect, or has changed, contact Council to update it.

        If you do not receive your renewal by the end of March, contact Council on 9262 6333.

        First Time Pet Registration at Whitehorse

        First time registration for your pet is required if you have newly adopted a pet or you have moved to Whitehorse with your pet from another Council area.

        To be registered for the first time in Whitehorse, all cats and dogs must:

        • Be over 3 months of age and microchipped
        • All cats must be desexed unless exempt (Exemptions include if the pet owner is a member of an Applicable Organisation OR a veterinarian examines the pet and advises in writing that the health of the animal will be adversely affected if they are desexed).

        An applicable organisation is approved by the Minister for Agriculture under section 5A of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 (DA Act). Current applicable organisations include any of the following:

        1. Australian National Cats Inc
        2. Dogs Victoria
        3. Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc.
        4. The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc.
        5. Master Dog Breeders & Associates
        6. Responsible Pet Breeders Australia.

        As soon as your pet reaches three months of age it must be registered no matter what time of year.

        Registrations within the current registration year can be transferred from other Victorian councils. A Certificate of Current Registration must be provided with your application (a Pet Registration Renewal Notice will not be accepted).

        Find out registration fees and register your pet online.

        Pet Registration Fees

        Various pet registration fees apply depending on the circumstances for you and your pet. You will receive a discount on your registration fee if your cat or dog meets certain criteria, such as being de-sexed or over 10 years old.

        Pets are required to wear their registration tags at all times when outside their property. Registration and microchipping helps Council and animal shelters identify your pet if it is lost and reunite you in the shortest possible time.

        Required Pet Registration Supporting Documentation

        At the time of registering your cat or dog in the City of Whitehorse, you must provide the following evidence:

        • Sterilisation / desexing certificate - or exemption letter from a vet (required for cats only)
        • Microchip certificate and microchip number (15 digits)

        To be eligible for reduced registration fees, you will need to provide additional proof of entitlement:

        • Pensioner Concession Card NOTE: Health Care Cards on their own are not acceptable.
        • Membership of an approved organisation
        • Obedience papers from an  approved obedience training organisation
        • Guide dog documentation
        • Dog working for a department or agency of the State or Commonwealth
        • A Certificate of Current Registration when transferring form another council area (a Renewal Notice will not be accepted)
        • Domestic Animal Business registration as a breeding business

        Information Collected for Pet Registration

        Council keeps a record of your pet's details including:

        • Name
        • Gender
        • Whether it is de-sexed or not
        • Breed
        • Colour and markings
        • Microchip number
        • Date of birth.
        • Registration documentation.

        Council will also keep details about you including your:

        • Name
        • Address
        • Contact information
        • Address where your pet is kept if different to your address.

        All private information collected is kept in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act (2014).

        Foster Animal Registration

        Domestic animal foster carers must also register all cats and dogs over the age of three months that they are looking after, even if the pet is only there for a short time.

        Under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, foster carers can receive reduced registration fees if they choose to enrol in the Foster Carers Voluntary Enrolment Scheme.

        Lifetime Pet Registration Tags

        All registered pets in the City of Whitehorse are issued with a lifetime tag which which must always be worn by your pet when outside.

        If your pet loses or damages its registration tag you can get a new one by completing the Change your Pet's Whitehorse Registration Details form and requesting a new tag.

        A new tag means a new registration number for your pet.

        Keeping your Pet Registration Information Up-to-date

        Up-to-date information is vital when trying to reunite pets with their owners. You should update Council whenever you change your address, email or phone number or if you no longer own your pet.

        If your pet has passed away, or if you and your pets have moved or left Whitehorse or your pets have been re-homed, complete the Change your Pet's Whitehorse Registration Details form and we will update your pet's records. Please remember to include your animal registration number. You will no longer receive a registration renewal letter for those pets.

        You should also update your microchip registration company whenever you change phone numbers or address. Visit if you have forgotten or lost the information regarding which microchip registration company your pet is listed with.

        Pet Registration Refunds

        If your cat or dog is no longer living with you please contact Council so we can update your pet's records. You may be eligible for a pet registration refund if your dog or cat has passed away or you have moved away from the municipality with your pets. Requests for refunds must be submitted prior to 30 June in the same registration payment year. Please remember to include your animal registration number in the email.