Laws and regulations about animals are there to protect them from neglect and cruelty as well as protecting the community from animals becoming a nuisance or danger.
The Domestic Animals Act 1994
The Domestic Animals Act 1994 specifies rules for Council and Council officers for pets in the areas of:
- Protecting the community and environment from nuisance pets
- Registration of pets and registration tags
- Microchipping pets
- Control of dogs including dangerous and menacing dogs as well as restricted breeds
- Registering domestic animal businesses and ensuring compliance with the codes of practice
- Developing strategies for the future direction of animal management services.
City of Whitehorse Community Local Law 2014
The Whitehorse City Council Community Local Law 2014 ( DOCX 58.27KB) ( PDF 280.06KB) includes:
- Where you can exercise your dog off-lead
- Picking up after your dog and the removal of dog poo
- Shared use of open space, parks and reserves
- Areas where wildlife and their habitats are protected from dogs.
Legal Aid Victoria provides advice about dog-related offences.