Using Public Land to Sell Goods and Vehicles or Repair Vehicles

The Whitehorse Community Local Law 2014 ( PDF 280.06KB) prohibits you to place any advertising signs, goods on display or for sale, or advertise a vehicle for sale on a road or Council land, or in any other public place. It is also illegal to paint, service or carry out maintenance on a vehicle on any public road, Council controlled land or in a public place except if the works are required so that the vehicle can be removed. If you conduct any of these activities, you may be fined.

Council places include roads, nature strips, council reserves, public places or car parks. 

Parking vehicles on roadsides and Council land creates hazards for motorists as it can cause visual distractions and traffic congestion issues. The vehicles can also cause damage to grass, vegetation and tree roots. If you do so, you may be fined.

If you are advertising a vehicle for sale you can park it in your driveway, or on your front lawn but not on the road or the naturestrip.

If you have a business and wish to have goods for sale or an A board advertising, visit Council's footpath trading web page.