Footpath trading is defined as using the footpath for commercial activities, including:
- Sale of goods and products
- Outdoor dining
- Displaying signs and other items (Does not include real estate agent portable 'A' boards)
You need a Footpath Trading Permit or Box Hill Mall Footpath Trading Permit (for use in Box Hill Mall) if you want to place tables and chairs, goods and products, outdoor heaters, an advertising sign, planter boxes, umbrellas, screens, promotional items or any other material on the footpath.
The footpath trading guidelines below and Disability Discrimination Act (1992) outline the rules and conditions for placing goods on footpaths. They also explain permit zones and other restrictions related to footpaths.
- Footpath trading guidelines ( PDF 547.5KB) - For the Whitehorse municipality except Carrington Road
- Box Hill Mall footpath trading guidelines (for Carrington Road, Box Hill) ( PDF 1.6MB)
Footpath Permit Zones
In order to provide unobstructed access for pedestrians, the following zones have been created.
- Pedestrian zone
- Trading activity zone
- Kerbside zone
- Exclusion zone.
These zones are outlined in the diagrams below.
More details can be found in the footpath and trading guidelines including definitions of the zones and specific measurements that you must adhere to in accordance with the Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act (1992).
Annual Fees (GST Exempt)
To be renewed every year in September.
To apply for a permit to temporary extend your outdoor trading permit, please visit the COVID Response: Outdoor Trading Page.
For All Areas Except Box Hill Mall (from 1 September 2021)
- One selection $155.00
- Two selections $275.00
- Three selections $390.00
- Four selections $500.00
- Five selections $600.00
- A/Board (one sign 1m high x 600mm wide)
- Goods on Display
- Tables, Chairs & Umbrella
Box Hill Mall (from 1 September 2021)
The fee payable is calculated on the number of total linear metres multiplied by linear metre.
- $550 per linear metre
- Goods on Display
- Tables, Chairs and Umbrellas
Footpath Trading Permit conditions (including Box Hill Mall)
Lodge an Application?
You will need the following details to submit a new application:
- A copy of your Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency (mandatory) for $10 million from your insurance company
- Site plan (mandatory). For online applications please submit a scanned copy of the site plan
- Any images or supporting documentation for your application
- Application fee (mandatory)
Once you have submitted an application form, Council will arrange to inspect your premises to assess the permit application. After the assessment if your application is successful, a permit will be sent to you. If your application is unsuccessful, you will be notified in writing.
If you want to install in-ground furniture sockets you must also apply to undertake works in the road reserve.
In-ground Furniture Sockets
Download the following information and form if you want to install in-ground furniture sockets:
- In-ground Furniture Sockets (Information) ( PDF 2.04MB)
- Application to Undertake Works in the Road Reserve ( PDF 355.55KB)
Renewing Your Permit
If you have an existing footpath trading permit, Council will send you a renewal notice from early September each year.
It is a mandatory requirement that you submit a current certificate of currency from your insurance company with $10 million liability as part of your renewal and pay the required fee.
Payment for the renewals can be made online.
Payment reference id will be supplied by Council.