Footpath trading is defined as using the footpath for commercial activities, including:
- Sale of goods and products
- Outdoor dining
- Displaying signs and other items (Does not include real estate agent portable 'A' boards)
You need a Footpath Trading Permit or Box Hill Mall Footpath Trading Permit (for use in Box Hill Mall) if you want to place tables and chairs, goods and products, outdoor heaters, an advertising sign, planter boxes, umbrellas, screens, promotional items or any other material on the footpath.
The footpath trading guidelines below and Disability Discrimination Act (1992) outline the rules and conditions for placing goods on footpaths. They also explain permit zones and other restrictions related to footpaths.
- Footpath trading guidelines ( PDF 430.13KB) - For the Whitehorse municipality except Carrington Road
- Box Hill Mall footpath trading guidelines (for Carrington Road, Box Hill) ( PDF 1.6MB)
Footpath Permit Zones
In order to provide unobstructed access for pedestrians, the following zones have been created.
- Pedestrian zone
- Trading activity zone
- Kerbside zone
- Exclusion zone.
These zones are outlined in the diagrams below.
More details can be found in the footpath and trading guidelines including definitions of the zones and specific measurements that you must adhere to in accordance with the Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act (1992).
Annual Fees (GST Exempt)
To be renewed every year in September.
To assist local businesses recover from COVID-19, Council has waived the 2020/21 permit fee for street furniture for existing permit holders. Renewals will be issued in September with businesses only needing to provide a copy of their current Public Liability Insurance.
For All Areas Except Box Hill Mall
- 1 selection $155.00
- 2 selections $275.00
- 3 selections $390.00
- 4 selections $500.00
- 5 selections $600.00
- A/Board (one sign 1m high x 600mm wide)
- Goods on Display
- Tables, Chairs & Umbrella
Box Hill Mall
- $550.00 per linear metre
- Goods on Display
- Tables, Chairs and Umbrellas
Footpath Trading Permit conditions (including Box Hill Mall)
Lodge an Application?
You will need the following details to submit a new application:
- A copy of your Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency (mandatory) for $20 million from your insurance company
- Site plan (mandatory). For online applications please submit a scanned copy of the site plan
- Any images or supporting documentation for your application
- Application fee (mandatory)
Once you have submitted an application form, Council will arrange to inspect your premises to assess the permit application. After the assessment if your application is successful, a permit will be sent to you. If your application is unsuccessful, any fees paid will be refunded.
If you want to install in-ground furniture sockets you must also apply to undertake works in the road reserve.
Apply via Email or in Person
Download and complete the form below that meets your requirements. Email the completed form to email@example.com or apply in person at any Council Service Centre.
The Footpath trading permit application form does not cover Box Hill Mall or real estate agent portable 'A' boards:
In-ground Furniture Sockets
Download the following information and form if you want to install in-ground furniture sockets:
- In-ground Furniture Sockets (Information) ( PDF 521.29KB)
- Application to Undertake Works in the Road Reserve ( PDF 362.83KB)
Renewing Your Permit
If you have an existing footpath trading permit, Council will send you a renewal notice from early September each year. Payment is due by the end of September.
It is a mandatory requirement that you submit a current certificate of currency with $20 million liability as part of your renewal.