Footpath Trading

Footpath trading is defined as using the footpath for commercial activities, including:

You need a Footpath Trading Permit or Box Hill Mall Footpath Trading Permit (for use in Box Hill Mall) if you want to place tables and chairs, goods and products, outdoor heaters, an advertising sign, planter boxes, umbrellas, screens, promotional items or any other material on the footpath. 

Before Applying

The footpath trading guidelines below and Disability Discrimination Act (1992) outline the rules and conditions for placing goods on footpaths. They also explain permit zones and other restrictions related to footpaths.

Footpath Permit Zones

In order to provide unobstructed access for pedestrians, the following zones have been created. 

  • Pedestrian zone
  • Trading activity zone
  • Kerbside zone
  • Exclusion zone. 

These zones are outlined in the diagrams below. 

More details can be found in the footpath and trading guidelines including definitions of the zones and specific measurements that you must adhere to in accordance with the Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act (1992).

Footpath Zones Figure A
Footpath Zones Figure B
Footpath Zones Corner Location

Annual Fees (GST Exempt) 

To be renewed every year in September.

To apply for a permit to temporary extend your outdoor trading permit, please visit the COVID Response: Outdoor Trading Page.

For All Areas Except Box Hill Mall (from 1 September 2021)

  • One selection $155.00
  • Two selections $275.00
  • Three selections $390.00
  • Four selections $500.00
  • Five selections $600.00

Selections available 

  • A/Board (one sign 1m high x 600mm wide)
  • Goods on Display
  • Tables, Chairs & Umbrella
  • Plants
  • Barriers
  • Other

Box Hill Mall  (from 1 September 2021)

The fee payable is calculated on the number of total linear metres multiplied by linear metre.

  • $550 per linear metre

Selections available

  • Goods on Display
  • Tables, Chairs and Umbrellas
  • Barriers
  • Other

Footpath Trading Permit conditions (including Box Hill Mall)

Lodge an Application?

You will need the following details to submit a new application:

  • A copy of your Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency (mandatory) for $10 million from your insurance company 
  • Site plan (mandatory). For online applications please submit a scanned copy of the site plan
  • Any images or supporting documentation for your application
  • Application fee (mandatory) 

Once you have submitted an application form, Council will arrange to inspect your premises to assess the permit application. After the assessment if your application is successful, a permit will be sent to you. If your application is unsuccessful, you will be notified in writing.

If you want to install in-ground furniture sockets you must also apply to undertake works in the road reserve.

Apply Online

    In-ground Furniture Sockets

    Download the following information and form if you want to install in-ground furniture sockets:

    Renewing Your Permit

    If you have an existing footpath trading permit, Council will send you a renewal notice from early September each year.

    It is a mandatory requirement that you submit a current certificate of currency from your insurance company with $10 million liability as part of your renewal and pay the required fee.

    Payment for the renewals can be made online

    Payment reference id will be supplied by Council.