Rooming House

Rooming houses include shared accommodation and prescribed accommodation.

  • A rooming house is a building in which there are one or more rooms available for occupancy on payment of rent and four or more people live there.
  • Prescribed accommodation premises is where six or more people are living, including holiday camps, hostels, hotels and motels, residential accommodation and student accommodation.

Owners must comply with laws that aim to protect public health and safety (Public Health and Wellbeing (Prescribed Accommodation) Regulations 2020), ensuring reasonable standards of hygiene, sanitation and maintenance. This includes meeting Council’s building, planning and public health requirements. 


Find out your property zone and overlays

Search the Whitehorse Planning Scheme

Your rights and responsibilities