A building permit is required before the commencement of building works which includes new buildings and demolition and/or alteration to an existing building. A building permit is written approval from a registered building surveyor certifying that your plans comply with the Building Regulations.
A building permit is generally required for:
- External work to your building including extensions, verandas, garages and second storeys
- External work to your building that requires windows or walls to be moved or altered
- Any new building
- Demolition of a building
- Change of use of a building eg: from warehouse to dwelling, or dwelling to rooming house
- A fence
- Construction of a swimming pool or spa
- Minor structures eg. carports, roller doors etc.
- The installation, alteration or removal of any Essential Services
Always check that a permit has been issued before any work commences. It is important to remember that it is the owner's responsibility to get the required permits.