Drainage and Easements

Council owns and maintains a large network of stormwater drains and easements throughout the City of Whitehorse. This network includes the stormwater system, channels (also known as gutters) in the road and drainage easements on public and private land.

Blocked Drains

Council’s City Works Department inspects, maintains and repairs Council drains. You can report a blocked stormwater drain via Snap Send Solve, online form or chat, email customer.service@whitehorse.vic.gov.au or phone Council’s Customer Service Team on 9262 6333.

Connecting New Drains

If you are planning to repair, modify or connect a new stormwater drain, you will need to check what permits and approvals are required before you can start works. Find out more information on connecting stormwater drains and the process for obtaining the right permits and approvals.

Applications for drainage connections

There are three possible applications involved in drainage connections:

1. Stormwater Report Application

The Council Stormwater Legal Point of Discharge Report tells you where to connect and whether Drainage Plans prepared by a certified engineer are required. Please note this application is for the report only and will not allow you to undertake drainage works. Apply online for a Stormwater Legal Point of Discharge Report.

2. Drainage (or Civil) Plan Application

Council approval of Drainage or ‘Civil’ Plans is where a Council Engineer assesses the drainage design prepared by a certified engineer, if required by the Report.

3. Drainage Permit Application

Council consent (permit) to undertake the works is permission to ‘start digging’ in accordance with the Report and Drainage Plan.

Drainage Easements

Drainage easements are parcels of land dedicated for drainage. Not all drainage easements contain drains, but if you want to install a drain or build over a drainage easement you will need a permit from Council. There are restrictions on what you can plant or build within a drainage easement.

Not sure whether you have an easement on your property? Visit Landata to search your property and view your property title (fees may apply).

Flood Levels

To obtain Council Report & Consent regarding construction in an area liable to flooding pursuant to Regulation 153 of the Building Regulations 2018, you are required to submit the online application form.

Drainage Schemes

Some older subdivisions may not have been connected to Council’s drainage system when they were originally built. At the request of residents, Council can organise and manage the construction of a new drainage system through a drainage scheme which is paid for by residents.

The cost of building and connecting these drains is split between the residents who will benefit from the drainage scheme.

Once the drains are installed, Council takes over responsibility for ongoing repairs and maintenance.

Read the Special Charge Scheme Policy ( PDF 67.47KB) or contact customer service for more information by calling 03 9262 6333 or emailing customer.service@whitehorse.vic.gov.au.