Connecting Stormwater Drains

Council requires new subdivisions and properties without existing drains to be connected to the Council stormwater network.

Drainage Permits

You will need to get consent (a permit) from Council before connecting a drain to the Council stormwater network. This includes repairs to broken pipes.

Drainage connections and related works must meet the requirements of:

How do I apply?

Each step in the diagram below provides important information to help you complete your application. As you go through each step you will check:

  • Location of the proposed works
  • Council's requirements 
  • Other authorities' requirements

The process will be 4 steps and depends on the location of the proposed works:

Process map - Drainage permits

Accessible version of the above drainage permit process steps diagram ( DOCX 11.77KB)

Who can apply?

  • Property owner(s)
  • Contractor nominated by the property owner(s)
  • Builder / developer
  • Agent appointed by the property owner(s) 


  • You will need to pay an application fee at the time of application. For works on Council roads/easements, a security deposit/bond will also be required. Find out more about fees and security deposits/bonds
  • Council reserves the right to determine the value of the security deposit bond based on the scope of works.
  • Security deposits will be refunded in full once the works are completed, inspected and approved by Council officers.
  • Other fees may be applicable if additional permits or approvals are required – either from Council or from another authority. 

How long does it take?

Allow 10 business days for processing and assessment of your application. 

There are several things that may delay your application:

  • Incomplete or incorrect application - if you do not provide all of the information and payment required 
  • If additional permits or approvals are required – either from Council or from another authority 

Next Steps

Continue to Step 1 to work out the location of the works