Utility Connections and Works by Authorities

Utility services include water mains, telecommunications, gas, electricity and sewerage.

Utility Connections

You may need to get a permit from Council before doing any works outside a private property boundary, the area also known as the 'road reserve'. This includes utility service repairs and connections to a property or development site. 

You may also need a permit for miscellaneous works in the road reserve other than vehicle crossings or stormwater drainage connections.

Works by Authorities

Utility service authorities, road authorities and public transport operators, or a contractor authorised to work on behalf of one, doing ‘major’ works (more than 8.5 square metres of excavation) will also be required to apply for a permit.

Note: authorities doing ‘minor’ works (less than 8.5 square metres of excavation) are exempt from obtaining this permit. 

All works must meet the requirements of:

How do I apply?

Each step in the diagram below provides important information to help you complete your application. As you go through each step you will check:

  • Location of the proposed works
  • Council's requirements 
  • Other authorities' requirements

The process will be 4 steps and depends on the location of the proposed works:

Process map - Utility Connections and Works by Authorities

Accessible version of the above permit process steps diagram for utility connections and works by authorities ( DOCX 11.81KB)

Who can apply?

  • Property owner(s)
  • Contractor nominated by the property owner(s)
  • Builder/ developer
  • Agent appointed by the property owner(s)
  • Utility Service Authorities, Road Authorities, Public Transport Operators, or a contractor working on behalf of an authority


  • You will need to pay an application fee and security deposit/bond at the time of application.
  • Council reserves the right to determine the value of the security deposit bond based on the scope of works.
  • Security deposits will be refunded in full once the works are completed, inspected and approved by Council officers. 
  • Other fees may be applicable if additional permits or approvals are required – either from Council or from another authority. 

How long does it take?

Allow 10 business days for processing and assessment of your application. 

There are several things that may delay your application:

  • Incomplete or incorrect application - if you do not provide all of the information and payment required 
  • If additional permits or approvals are required – either from Council or from another authority 

Next Steps

Continue to Step 1 to work out the location of the works