Residential Noise

Noise can come from residential activities such as parties, renovations, building and construction works, appliances, air conditioning and pets. Under the Environmental Protection Act (2017), it’s an offence to cause unreasonable noise from residential premises. Unreasonable noise is determined by its volume, intensity and duration. Even within permitted hours, equipment use noise may be unreasonable.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) specifies permitted times when items of equipment such as motor vehicles, lawn mowers, electric power tools, air conditioners etc. are not allowed to be used under the current EPA Noise Regulations.

    Resolving Noise Issues

    Before making a complaint to Council, Victorian Police or the EPA, first discuss any noise issues with your neighbour or the person responsible for the noise. On many occasions, a person may not even know that they are causing a nuisance. The EPA Residential Noise Booklet has more information on how to deal with noise and legal requirements.

    If the noise problems persist, you could contact the Dispute Settlement Centre on 1300 372 888. These centres specialise in settling differences between neighbours. They can arrange mediation between yourself, the person responsible for the noise issue and a mediator to help solve the problem. This process is free and has a high success rate.

    If talking to your neighbour and dispute resolution do not, work you can contact Council for advice.

    More Information