Roads, Footpaths and Vehicle Crossings

Roads, footpaths and vehicle crossings are all parts of the 'road reserve' - the area in the street between property boundaries.

Diagram of road reserve

For all works in the road reserve, you will need to apply for the relevant permits and approvals before starting works.

On this page you will find information on:

Works on Vehicle Crossings

Property owners are responsible for the ongoing maintenance and construction of vehicle crossings in accordance with Council’s Community Laws.

If you are planning to construct or alter a vehicle crossing you will need to check what permits and approvals are required before you can start works. This includes works on the footpath.

Find out more information on vehicle crossings and driveways and the process for obtaining the right permits and approvals.

Other Works in the Road Reserve

Council is responsible for the care and maintenance of its road reserves. This includes roads, footpaths, naturestrips, kerb and channel (also known as gutters), trees and other street assets like street signs. 

You may need to get a permit before you do any works (or alterations) outside a private property boundary (in the road reserve). This is to make sure that the road reserve is left in the same condition it was originally found in.

Find out more information about permits for:

If you want to do works outside a private boundary and you’re not sure which permit to apply for, please contact Council's Engineering Administration team on 9262 6177 to discuss Council requirements before you start works.

Changes to levels in the road reserve

Levels of public land, in the road reserve or other Council property, should not be changed without Council approval. If your works require a change of levels, you will need to submit detailed civil plans for assessment, before applying for the relevant permit (above).

    Asset Protection

    Trucks and other large equipment used for building projects (new dwellings, unit developments, extensions and demolitions) can cause damage to footpaths, kerbs, naturestrips, drainage facilities and other public utilities. Any adjoining parks also need to be protected.

    Property owners or contractors must obtain an Asset Protection Permit ( PDF 353.77KB) at least seven days prior to the commencement of any building work.

    If access to the building site is required through Council owned land (parks, carparks, Council owned buildings) a separate permit is required. Please make a note in the application if access through Council owned land is required.

    The Asset Protection Permit ( PDF 353.77KB) sets out what contractors and builders must do before finishing the works to ensure the assets are left in the same condition they were found in. The permit also helps Council know who is working where and makes sure that the roads and footpaths remain usable and accessible for all residents and businesses.

    When applying for a Protecting Council’s Assets permit, you will need to pay a security deposit which is refunded on the successful inspection and approval of the finished works.

    Once your construction work is complete you can request a pre-inspection consultation to find out whether you are ready for a final inspection.

    A final inspection happens when construction and landscaping is complete and you have finished the project. If you don’t pass the final inspection, further inspection fees will apply for the next inspections. Please note that every applicant is required to request the final inspection after the building works are completed.

    Security deposits are returned once the restorative works are successfully completed and approved by an inspector.

    Altering a Naturestrip

    Naturestrips are the section of public land between the paved footpath and the kerb. Find out more about maintaining or altering naturestrips on the naturestrip page.

    Temporary Road Closures

    If you are planning to temporarily close a road or part of a road (including naturestrips and footpaths) you will need to check what permits and approvals are required before you close the road.

    Find out more information on Temporary Road Closures and the process for obtaining the right permits and approvals.

    Works Zone Parking Restrictions

    Works Zones are restricted parking areas for construction sites, designed to allow for loading and unloading of construction vehicles.

    Find out more information on Works Zones and the process for obtaining the right permits and approvals.