Roads, Footpaths and Vehicle Crossings

The road reserve is the area between property boundaries and includes assets such as the road pavement, footpaths, vehicle crossings (driveways), naturestrips and kerb and channel.

For all works in the road reserve, you will need to apply for the relevant permits and approvals before starting works.

You will need to pay an application fee, and a security deposit may also be required at the time of application. Security deposits will be refunded in full once the works are completed, inspected and approved by Council officers.

On this page you will find information on:

Permits for Vehicle Crossings

Property owners are responsible for the ongoing maintenance and construction of vehicle crossings in accordance with Council’s Community Laws.

If you are planning to construct or alter a vehicle crossing you will need to check what permits and approvals are required before you can start works.

Find out more information on vehicle crossings and driveways and the process for obtaining the right permits and approvals.

Permits for Work Affecting Council Assets

Council assets include the road pavement, footpaths, naturestrips, kerb and channel (gutter) and trees within the road reserve.

The Council is responsible for the care and maintenance of these assets. Anyone who wants to do construction works affecting Council assets or who wants to make alterations to Council assets will need consent. This makes sure that the assets are left in the same condition they were originally found in.

The Asset Protection Permit ( PDF 351.13KB) sets out what contractors and builders must do before finishing the works to ensure the assets are left in the same condition they were found in. The permit also helps Council know who is working where and makes sure that the roads and footpaths remain usable and accessible for all residents and businesses.

When applying for a Protecting Council’s Assets permit, you will need to pay a security deposit which is refunded on the successful inspection and approval of the finished works.

Once your construction work is complete you can request a pre-inspection consultation to find out whether you are ready for a final inspection.

A final inspection happens when construction and landscaping is complete and you have finished the project. If you don’t pass the final inspection, further inspection fees will apply for the next inspections. Please note that every applicant is required to request the final inspection after the building works are completed.

Security deposits are returned once the restorative works are successfully completed and approved by an inspector.

Asset Protection

Trucks and other large equipment used for building projects (new dwellings, unit developments, extensions and demolitions) can cause damage to footpaths, kerbs, naturestrips, drainage facilities and other public utilities. Any adjoining parks also need to be protected.

Property owners or contractors must obtain an Asset Protection Permit ( PDF 351.13KB) at least seven days prior to the commencement of any building work.

If access to the building site is required through Council owned land (parks, carparks, Council owned buildings) a separate permit is required. Please make a note in the application if access through Council owned land is required.

Altering A Naturestrip

Naturestrips are the section of public land between the paved footpath and the kerb. While naturestrips are owned by Council, it is the responsibility of residents who live adjacent to naturestrips to maintain the lawn by mowing, weeding and keeping the naturestrip free of litter.

Any changes to the naturestrip, including planting small plants, need to be approved through the Council’s permit process before planting can begin.

Residents are not permitted to prune or make any changes to trees in the naturestrip. Council will only remove trees on naturestrips if they are dead, dying or hazardous to residents.

View the naturestrip guidelines and other information on the naturestrip page.

Works Zone Permits and Temporary Road Closures

Temporarily closing a road (including a naturestrip or footpath) partially or fully requires a permit from the relevant authority. For closures on local, link and collector roads, please contact Council. For road closures on arterial roads please contact VicRoads.

Works Zones are designated areas for contractors to work, leave heavy machinery, park large vehicles and prepare materials. Creating a Works Zone requires a permit from Council. Apply for a Works Zone Permit by filling out the form for either a New Works Zone Application or a Works Zone Renewal Application.