Real Estate Advertising Permits

Real Estate agencies temporarily displaying boards or signs to advertise activities such as ‘for sale’, ‘open for inspection’, ‘auction’ or ‘for rent’ on council land are required to obtain an annual permit. 

Council’s Community Local Law 2014 requires businesses to have a permit before placing an advertising board in public places including footpaths, nature strips, Council managed land or any other location likely to impact residents or visitors.

Displays Allowed 

  • Two portable signs per property
  • One advertising sign outside the property for sale or lease in Whitehorse
  • One sign and or goods to be placed outside your business premise in Whitehorse
  • Size of the sign should be less than 1m x 600mm

Annual Fees (GST Exempt) 

No cost until September 2021.

Before Applying

The footpath trading guidelines below and Disability Discrimination Act (1992) outline the rules and conditions for placing signs on footpaths. They also explain permit zones and other restrictions related to footpaths.

Footpath Permit Zones

In order to provide unobstructed access for pedestrians, the following zones have been created.

  • Pedestrian zone
  • Trading activity zone
  • Kerbside zone
  • Exclusion zone. 

These zones are outlined in the diagrams below.

More details can be found in the footpath and trading guidelines including definitions of the zones other restrictions that you must adhere to in accordance with the Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act (1992).

Footpath Zones Figure A
Footpath Zones Figure B
Footpath Zones Corner Location

Permit Conditions

Lodge an Application?

You will need the following details to submit a new application:

  • Certificate of Public Liability Insurance currency (mandatory) for $20 million detailing coverage that extends to all items placed on footpath
  • Any images or supporting documentation for your application
  • Application fee (mandatory) 

Once you have submitted an application form, Council will arrange to inspect your premises to assess the permit application. After the assessment if your application is successful, a permit will be sent to you. If your application is unsuccessful, any fees paid will be refunded.

Apply Online

Apply via Email or in Person

Download and complete the form below. Email to or apply in person at any Council Service Centre with supported documents.

Renewing Your Permit

If you have an existing permit, we will send you a renewal notice from early September each year. Payment is due by the end of September.