Responsible pet ownership involves registering, microchipping and desexing your pet, cleaning up after pets and walking dogs on leads.
Pet registration is a legal requirement under the Domestic Animals Act 1994. Every dog and cat three months of age and older must be microchipped and registered with Council. As soon as your pet reaches three months of age it must be registered no matter what time of year. You can be fined for not registering your pet.
Registration renewals are due April 10 each year.
Pet Registration Information at a Glance
- All cats and dogs must be registered with council by 3 months of age
- All dogs and cats must be microchipped to be registered for the first time
- In the City of Whitehorse, dogs and cats must also be desexed to be registered
- There is an annual fee for registering your pet
- All registered pets must wear the lifetime tag on their collar when outside your property